Thursday 11 July 2013

Curl Control


I have been blessed (or cursed, depending on how you look at it) with hair that has a tendency to curl. Not the tight perm-effect type curls, but looser kinks and waves, which become more noticeable the damper the atmosphere.

Over the years, I have alternately chosen to increase the curls or battle against them, with mixed results. As a child, my mum would often tie strips of rag in my hair for special occasions, to produce the ringlet effect. In the 80s I jumped on the ‘big hair perm’ bandwagon, then during the 90s I patiently blow-dried my hair into sleeker styles, though I never quite got into the whole hair straightener thing.

More recently, I’ve decided to ‘go with the flow’ and allow my hair to dictate its own special style. I’ve ditched the blow-drying in favour of a natural ‘leave and let dry’ (was that a Bond film?) approach. Apart from regular (well, kind of) trims, a decent brush and a dab of ‘curl tamer’, I pretty well allow my hair to do as it pleases.

I now tend to shop for products aimed at curly hair and have tried a few in order to keep my locks luscious. Trevor Sorbie Curl Cream proved somewhat disappointing, as even the smallest amount left my hair feeling sticky, although the shampoo and conditioner in this range weren’t bad. What I much prefer is Umberto Giannini Curl Friends Scrunching Jelly, which is light and not at all sticky (despite its name), it's easy to work through hair and a little goes a long way.

I’ve just bought Phil Smith Curly Locks shampoo and conditioner that I will be trying shortly, so I’ll report on those at a later date.

In the meantime, what products do you recommend to keep your tresses beautiful?

Follow me on Twitter @shoppersjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment