Tuesday 28 May 2013

The Haunting by Alan Titchmarsh

I’m an avid reader and am always on the lookout for different, interesting titles and authors to read. On a recent trip to The Works bookshop I was attracted to a book entitled ‘The Haunting’ and decided to take a closer look.

I was surprised to discover that it was written by Alan Titchmarsh, someone whose books I had never considered reading, wrongly believing that he wrote the type of book that would be of no interest to me whatsoever. However, when I read the ‘blurb’ on the back, I realised that it fell into a category of book that I really enjoy – that where two stories, one past and one present, link together in some way.

I love reading books such as ‘The House at Riverton’ and ‘The Forgotten Garden’ by Kate Morton and ‘Sepulchre’ by Kate Mosse, so was keen to get started on ‘The Haunting’, where stories from 1816 and 2010 come together.

I quickly became engrossed in this book, eager to find out the fates of 19th century Anne Flint and 21st century Harry as their stories gradually unfolded in the same places but at different times. The book includes tragedy, romance and the sad effects of dementia on the young and old, all coming together in a very well written, intriguing tale.

OK, maybe part of the ending was a bit predictable, but it didn’t ruin my overall enjoyment of the story.

I really enjoyed reading ‘The Haunting’ and am now eager to try some more of Mr Titchmarsh’s offerings.

Follow me on Twitter @shoppersjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment