Thursday 30 May 2013

Dickens Festival, Rochester

Twice a year, Rochester in Kent is transformed into a little snapshot of Dickensian England, with characters straight from the pages of his much-acclaimed stories parading the High Street.

For those of you who fancy soaking up this traditional atmosphere, the summer version of this Dickensian extravaganza is about to take place.

From 31st May to 2nd June, you can experience the sights and sounds and meet the characters portrayed in Dickens’ novels. Rochester’s High Street, Castle Gardens and surrounding areas become filled with stalls and entertainers, with a full programme of events available.

As a Kentish lass, I have often visited the Dickens Festival, and even dressed up and participated in it in my youth. Aged 17 I was working at a local Day Centre for the Elderly, which decided to run a stall in the High Street, with us all dressed for the part. I had a great day, sporting a costume made for me by my eldest sister, and was amazed at how many times visitors stopped me in the street to take my photograph.

The photo here was taken by a lovely American tourist, who then gave me a copy (it was the days of the Polaroid camera, instant photos and all that) and it brings back happy memories of a thoroughly enjoyable day.

So why not visit Rochester’s Dickens Festival this weekend?

Follow me on Twitter @shoppersjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment