Friday 4 January 2013

The Aldi Experience


I previously wrote that I had never bought anything in Aldi, as my only local store was dark and dingy, had the appeal of a badly organised jumble sale and offered no choice of items, i.e. only one type of coffee, one type of tea etc.

However, a new branch of Aldi has recently been built within a reasonable distance from my home and so I decided it was time to give it another go.

First impressions were much better – lighter and brighter, with more space, although the central section still vaguely resembled a kind of rummage sale. Product ranges were definitely an improvement, with some items available in several choices of both known and unrecognised brands and varieties.

I still don’t feel I could do a decent shop in Aldi, but have tried a few products that I feel are worth a mention.

Snackrite Crisps, pack of 24 for £1.99. I loved the variety of flavours – ready salted, salt and vinegar, cheese and onion, chicken, barbecue rib and prawn cocktail all in one pack – in Walkeresque style packaging, and the crisps were really tasty. Verdict: a good, value-for-money buy.

Alcafe Latte, 11 sachets (one free) for £1.49. I really enjoy some of the instant latte sachets around, specifically Nescafe Menu Latte, which can work out quite expensive at £2.99 for 8 sachets (although I tend to only buy it when I find it on offer), so I was keen to give a cheaper version a go. I was not that impressed with the initial flavour, but discovered that by replacing about 1/3 of the hot water with warm milk, it became quite drinkable. Verdict: With a bit of modification I can make this work.

Would rather eat them than smell like them
Lacura skin care range, a handy budget range of skincare items including moisturisers for £1.99 and eye care items from £1.49. So far I’ve only tried the Shimmering Day Cream, which is easily absorbed with a pleasant softening effect, but has a bit of a strange, sickly scent – a bit like fruity boiled sweets –which is a bit of a shame. Think the effect was more ‘sparkle’ than ‘shimmer’ really. Verdict: Am tempted to try other products from the range, but worry they will all smell this sickly.

Follow me on Twitter @shoppersjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment