Monday 24 December 2012

Thoughts On Christmas and Shopping


Much as I love shopping, even I don’t have to browse the shops seven days a week, 52 weeks of the year. Over the Christmas period I look forward to spending time with my family, catching up with friends, going for a walk (weather permitting) and generally taking time out of the general routine.

It infuriates me that shops feel the need to open bright and early Boxing Day morning, having only closed for Christmas Day itself. There are some exceptions, such as John Lewis, who understand their staff value time spent with their families. But why do most others insist on opening their doors regardless of the holiday season? Well, money, obviously, but as they say that doesn’t buy you happiness.

Years ago shops closed for a minimum of two days over the festive period and shut all Bank Holidays and Sundays too. None of us starved, had ‘withdrawal-from-shopping’ symptoms, or felt hard done by. Now with the advent of online shopping, there is even less of a reason for longer shop opening hours, although I do appreciate the extra employment created.

Sadly we have become engulfed in the 24/7 culture – hate the phrase, hate the concept. Whatever happened to ‘a time for every purpose’?

So this festive season, try to take some out from your everyday routine to stop and smell the turkey/heady aroma of chocolate/after-dinner liqueur, and relax! Enjoy the company of family and friends – or failing that explore the big outdoors (great tension reliever).

I love to shop – but I know when to stop!

Merry Christmas!

Follow me on Twitter @shoppersjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment