Friday 2 November 2012

Supermarket Conundrums


Why is it when I try and shop at my local Sainsbury’s the aisles are often blocked by enormous ‘on-line’ shopping trolleys, making it impossible to reach what I need, so that I feel, as a visiting customer, I am secondary to the online shoppers? Yet when I shop at my local Tesco I have never even glimpsed an ‘on-line’ shopping trolley, which is great. How do they manage to fulfil the online orders unnoticed – invisible elves perhaps?

Why do many supermarkets insist on chucking their reduced label items in a big heap, so that I feel like I am rummaging at a Jumble Sale? They may have had to reduce them as they are at their ‘sell by’ date, but surely they would still prefer to sell them, rather than throw them away, so why not display them better? Happily, I can report that my local Sainsbury’s has now adopted a new system. Items carrying a reduced sticker are displayed on the original shelves next to their original priced counterparts, with the price reduction facing outwards for all to see – a much better system.

Despite Aldi products earning much acclaim, I have yet to try many of the much talked about items. The reason? My nearest Aldi is about as welcoming as a miser’s hovel. Are all branches like this? I know the Aldi experience is supposed to be about value for money products, but I’d like to actually feel vaguely comfortable walking round the store and have more than one choice of each product.

I’ve never ventured into a Lidl or Netto either – there are no branches particularly local to me. Perhaps you’d like to tell me your thoughts about them, email  comments@shoppersjoy.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment