Thursday 22 November 2012

Hypermobility Syndrome – My Experience


Hypermobility Syndrome is a connective tissue disorder, which causes joints to be overly flexible and can result in a variety of joint problems (e.g. dislocation, severe pain, recurrent injuries) and other related disorders such as hernias.

I was diagnosed with the condition six years ago, but of course it has affected me all my life. Unfortunately as I have got older I have experienced more pain and injuries, suffer from a hiatus hernia and am aware of other related problems such as poor balance.

Supple is not always good
Although awareness of Hypermobility Syndrome is growing, there are still many people who have not heard of the condition. What is more worrying, however, is that many members of the medical profession still fail to diagnose the problem (some believing that sufferers are making a fuss over nothing) or diagnose it but do not follow it up with the correct advice or care.

I am fortunate that I attend a Hypermobility class at my local physiotherapy department, as many other sufferers do not have this opportunity. In an attempt to further raise awareness of the syndrome, I have written an article of my own experience.

To view the article visit shoppersjoy.co.uk/features

No comments:

Post a Comment