Tuesday 6 November 2012

Cutting Hairdressing Costs

A trip to the hairdressers is supposed to be, and indeed can be, an enjoyable experience, but finding a good one, and working your way round their sometimes complex price list is not always easy.

Many hairdressers offer several price bands according to whether your appointment is with the junior stylist, stylist, senior stylist, stylist with gold bells on (ok made that one up), manager etc. However, I have found from experience it is not necessarily the person charging the highest price that offers the best cut. One of my most successful cuts to date was carried out by a young lad, who could have been doing it for ‘bob-a-job’ week to look at him – but he was brilliant! If someone has a natural flare for something such as styling hair, they will do it well regardless of their charges and status.

The best guide to use when choosing a hairdresser is recommendations by others. Don’t be afraid to ask someone whose hair looks great, “I really like your hair, where do your get it done?”

There are times when I make an impulsive decision to have my hair cut. I wake up, take a look in the mirror and think; “I really must get something done about this today!” So off I head to Supercuts where I can just turn up, take my place in the queue and wait my turn. As my hair has a natural tendency to curl, I just pay for a wash and cut, rather than the extra £10-£12 for a blow dry, which would involve the stylist trying to ‘tame’ my hair into a sleeker style. I pay in the region of £23 for a wash and cut and for this I do get my hair ‘rough-dried’ so that I don’t leave the salon dripping wet, just slightly damp. Skipping the full blow dry is a good way to save money.

Of course, another great way to save on hairdressing costs is to visit your local college and offer to be a model for hairdressing students. My local campus in Medway of Mid-Kent College offers a cut and blow dry with a level 2 student for just £3, whilst an appointment with a level 3 student is £7.50. Some salons also offer reduced costs if styled by a trainee under the watchful eye of a trained member of staff.

Let me know your hairdressing experiences comments@shoppersjoy.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment